Background and Goals:
This course covers the graphs, properties and geometric significance of trigonometric functions of a real variable. Other topics include trigonometric equations and identities, applications, trigonometric form of complex numbers and DeMoivre's theorem.
Math 112 and Math 113 are both covered by Math 114.
After Math 112 and Math 113 a student can enroll in Math 171, Math 211 or Math 221.
- Degrees and radians.
- Arc length and sector area.
- Similar triangles.
- Trig ratios and right triangles.
- Special angles.
- Right triangles and applications.
- Standard position; quadrants.
- Trig functions; fundamental identities.
- Inverse trig functions.
- Laws of sines and cosines.
- Double- and half-angle identities.
- Basic graphs and graphing.
- Graphs of A sin x, A cos x, M sin Bt + N cos Bt
- Trig equations
- Vectors: sums, differences, and complements. Dot products.
- Polar coordinates; complex numbers; nth roots.