Applied Mathematics at UW-Madison
Welcome to the Applied Mathematics Group at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Our faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, and students are involved in a variety of research projects, including fluid dynamics, partial and stochastic differential equations, scientific computing, biology, biochemistry, and topology.
News and opportunities
- Bokai Yan (PhD student with Shi Jin) graduated in Fall 2011 and has a postdoc at UCLA.
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study persistence and multistability in biological networks (contact Gheorghe Craciun, supported by NIH).
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study mathematical analysis of mass spectrometry data and proteomics (contact Gheorghe Craciun, supported by NSF).
- Li Wang (PhD student with Leslie Smith) graduated and has a job at Epic.
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study waves in geophysical flows and tropical cyclogenesis (contact Leslie Smith, supported by NSF).
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study mixing by microorganisms (contact Jean-Luc Thiffeault, supported by NSF).
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study nonlinear critical layers and exact coherent states in turbulent shear flows (contact Fabian Waleffe, supported by NSF).
organized by Applied Math
- Applied and Computational Math Seminar (Fridays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- GPS Applied Math Seminar (Mondays at 2:25pm, B211 VV)
- Joint Math/Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences Informal Seminar (Thursdays at 3:45 pm, AOS 811)
other seminar series of interest
- Mathematics Colloquium (Fridays at 4:00pm, VV B239)
- Chaos and Complex Systems Seminar (Tuesdays at 12:05pm, 4274 Chamberlin Hall)
- RRC Lecture (Fridays at 12:05pm, 1800 Engineering Hall)
- Physics Department Colloquium (Fridays at 3:30 pm; 2241 Chamberlin Hall)
Tenured and tenure-track faculty
David Anderson: (Duke, 2005) probability and stochastic processes, computational methods for stochastic processes, mathematical/systems biology.
Sigurd Angenent: (Leiden, 1986) partial differential equations.
Amir Assadi: (Princeton, 1978) computational & mathematical models in molecular biology & neuroscience.
Nigel Boston: (Harvard, 1987) algebraic number theory, group theory, arithmetic geometry, computational algebra, coding theory, cryptography, and other applications of algebra to electrical engineering.
Gheorghe Craciun: (Ohio State, 2002) mathematical biology, biochemical networks, biological interaction networks.
Shamgar Gurevich: (Tel Aviv, 2006) Representation theory of groups, algebraic geometry, applications to signal Processing, structural biology, mathematical physics.
Shi Jin: (Arizona, 1991) applied & computational mathematics.
Alex (Sasha) Kiselev: (CalTech, 1997) partial differential equations, Fourier analysis and applications in fluid mechanics, combustion, mathematical biology and Schrödinger operators.
Gloria Mari-Beffa: (Minnesota, 1991) differential geometry, applied math.
Paul Milewski: (MIT, 1993) applied mathematics, fluid dynamics.
Julie Mitchell: (Berkeley, 1998) computational mathematics, structural biology.
James Rossmanith: (Washington, 2002) computational mathematics, hyperbolic conservation laws, plasma physics.
Leslie Smith: (MIT, 1988) applied mathematics. Waves and coherent structures in oceanic and atmospheric flows.
Sam Stechmann: (Courant, 2008) fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, computational mathematics.
Jean-Luc Thiffeault: (Texas, 1998) fluid dynamics, mixing, biological swimming and mixing, topological dynamics.
Fabian Waleffe: (MIT, 1989) applied and computational mathematics. Fluid dynamics, hydrodynamic instabilities. Turbulence and unstable coherent flows.
Andrej Zlatos: (Caltech, 2003) partial differential equations, combustion, fluid dynamics, Schrödinger operators, orthogonal polynomials
Gerardo Hernandez-Duenas: (Michigan, 2011)
Current Graduate Students
Adel Ardalan: Student of Amir Assadi.
Claire Blackman: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Anekewit (Tete) Boonkasame: Student of Paul Milewski.
Yongtao Cheng: Student of James Rossmanith.
Hesam Dashti: Student of Amir Assadi.
Qiang Deng: Student of Leslie Smith.
Alireza Fotuhi: Student of Amir Assadi.
Leland Jefferis: Student of Shi Jin.
E. Alec Johnson: Student of James Rossmanith.
Mohammad Khabbazian: Student of Amir Assadi.
Masanori (Maso) Koyama: Student of David Anderson.
Lei Li: Student of Shi Jin.
Qin Li: Student of Shi Jin.
Peter Mueller: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Peng Qi: Student of Shi Jin.
Arash Sangari: Student of Amir Assadi.
David Seal: Student of James Rossmanith.
Ebru Selin Selen: Student of Amir Assadi.
Sarah Tumasz: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Li Wang: Student of Leslie Smith.
Li (Aug) Wang: Student of Shi Jin.
Zhan Wang: Student of Paul Milewski.
Qian You: Student of Sigurd Angenent.
Zhennan Zhou: Student of Shi Jin.
Graduate course offerings
- Math 714: Methods of Computational Math I (S. Stechman)
Return to the Mathematics Department Wiki Page