Configuring a Printer on a Macintosh
Adding a Color Printer
Color printers are on floors 3 through 8 of Van Vleck. You can configure your Macintosh to print to one of these printers by following the steps below:
- Log into your Macintosh as a user with administrative priviledges.
- Download and install the Ricoh Aficio C4501 driver.
- Open a terminal window and type the following commands
- lpadmin -E -p 5 -v ipp://printserver2.math.wisc.edu:631/printers/5 -P "/Library/Printers/PPDS/Contents/Resources/RICOH Aficio MP C4501"
- cupsenable 5
- cupsaccept 5
NOTE: if have a personal Macintosh and your local username is different from your username in the Math Department, you can print using a command like this:
lp -d P -U <yourusername> file.pdf (where P is the name of the printer (e.g. 5) and <yourusername> is your username. NOTE that you can only print postscript or PDF files)
Adding a Greyscale Printer
Greyscale printers are placed throughout Van Vleck for the needs of individuals or small groups. If you need to use one of these printers, you can configure it with the following commands. Note: Replace the XX in the commands below with the letter indicating your printer choice. For example, the printer in the 101 Lab is printer a.
- lpadmin -E -p X -v ipp://printserver1.math.wisc.edu:631/printers/X -m "gutenprint.5.2://hp-lj_4300/expert HP LaserJet 4300 - Gutenprint v5.2.3"
- cupsenable X
- cupsaccept X