Math 764 -- Algebraic Geometry II
This course is the continuation of Math 763. The goal is to put to extend the framework of algebraic geometry from varieties (studied in Math 763) to schemes. This requires using the language of sheaves (and, particularly, sheaves of rings) on topological spaces.
In the beginning of the course, we will go over basic properties of sheaves. We will then define schemes and morphisms of schemes, and study various classes of morphisms. Time permitting, I hope to discuss more interesting topics, such as (quasi)coherent sheaves on schemes and moduli spaces.
- Hartshorne, Algebraic Geometry
- Shafarevich, Basic Algebraic Geometry
- Ravi Vakil’s online notes, The Rising Sea
Here are notes by Daniel Hast for Algebraic Geometry 2 in 2015.
Information for students
- Instructor: Dima Arinkin
- Office Hours: Monday 3-4pm, Friday 11-11:45am, and by appointment in VV 603
- Lectures: MWF 12:05-12:55pm, VV B321
- Grade: There will be weekly homework assignments, but no exams in this course.