Using a Ricoh Printer on a Macintosh
Adding the Ricoh Printer to a Mac
At the moment, the only Ricoh color printer available is on the fifth floor of Van Vleck. You can configure your Macintosh to print to this printer by following the steps below:
- Download and install the Ricoh Aficio C4501 driver. Note: you will need to have at least MacOS 10.5.
- Set up the printer by clicking on Apple -> System Preferences -> Print and Fax. The display below shows how to
setup the 7th floor Ricoh printer:
If you prefer to do this via a command line, do the following:
- Log into your Macintosh as a user with administrative priviledges. You can do this, e.g. by typing this in a terminal window:
- sudo tcsh
- (then type an administrator password)
- Open a terminal window and type the following commands
- lpadmin -E -p 5 -v ipp://printserver2.math.wisc.edu:631/printers/5 -P "/Library/Printers/PPDS/Contents/Resources/RICOH Aficio MP C4501"
- cupsenable 5
- cupsaccept 5
NOTE: if have a personal Macintosh and your local username is different from your username in the Math Department, you can print using a command like this:
lp -d P -U <yourusername> file.pdf (where P is the name of the printer (e.g. 5) and <yourusername> is your username. NOTE that you can only print postscript or PDF files)