CS/ECE/Math 435, Introduction to Cryptography - Spring 2015
3619 Engineering Hall, 303 Van Vleck
Telephone: 265-3817, 263-4753.
Office Hours: M 3-4:30 (303 VV) and W 1:30-3 (3619 EH); or by appointment.
Eric Bach's course notes can be picked up at Bob's Copy Shop.
Famous Unsolved Codes and Ciphers
Comic courtesy of Bill Kay
Stick figure guide to AES, courtesy of John Cabaj
Vigenere cipher used by Confederacy
Magician card trick of Fitch Cheney
Article on factoring of RSA-129
Twenty years of attacks on the RSA cryptosystem
Familiarity with the major algorithms of historical and
modern cryptography as documented in open literature;
knowledge of issues involved in choice of algorithm and
key size; ability to analyze performance of various cryptographic and cryptanalytic algorithms
Classical cryptography: substitution ciphers, polyalphabetic
Introduction to cryptanalysis: frequency counts, coincidence
index, Shannon's theory
Block ciphers (DES, IDEA, AES, etc.)
Public-key cryptography (modular arithmetic, systems based
on factoring and discrete logarithms)
Cryptographic protocols (key exchange methods, digital
signatures, secret sharing, authentication)
- Main Lecture: MWF, 11:00-11:50, 1227 Engineering Hall.
The HW will be worth 10%, each midterm 20%, and the final 50% of your grade.
If you score 90% or higher, you will get an A; if you score 80% or higher, you will at least get a B;
if you score 70% or higher, you will at least get a C; if you score 60% or higher, you will at least
get a D.
Homework will be set most Fridays and due the following Friday. You are encouraged to discuss
the exercises with your classmates but the work you hand in should be your own.
The following tables may be of help to you:
- Addition and Multiplication mod 26
- Helpful Statistical Information for Cryptograms
- 1st Homework, due Feb 6.
- 2nd Homework, due Feb 13.
- 3rd Homework, due Feb 20.
- 4th Homework, due Feb 27.
- 5th Homework, due Mar 13.
- 6th Homework, due Mar 20.
- 7th Homework, due Mar 27.
- 8th Homework, due Apr 17.
- 9th Homework, due May 1.
- 10th Homework, due May 8.
Friday, March 6, and Friday, April 24, at 11:00am in 1800 EH
- Practice 1st Midterm, no.1
- Practice 1st Midterm, no.2
- Practice 1st Midterm, no.3
- Practice 2nd Midterm, no.1
- Practice 2nd Midterm, no.2
- Practice 2nd Midterm, no.3