ALGEBRAIC TOPOLOGY I.
INSTRUCTOR: Laurentiu Maxim.
office: 713 Van Vleck
office hours: Tue 3-4pm, Thu 11am-noon
CLASS SCHEDULE: TuTh 1:00PM-2:15PM, Room B235 Van Vleck.
1. higher homotopy groups, fibrations, spectral sequences,
2. bundle theory, classifying spaces, vector bundles,
3. characteristic classes, applications and calculations.
- Allen Hatcher: Algebraic Topology, available here.
- Allen Hatcher: Spectral Sequences in Algebraic Topology, available
- James Davis, Paul Kirk: Lecture Notes in Algebraic Topology
- John Milnor, Jim Stasheff: Characteristic Classes
Based on homework and participation in class.
As part of class participation, each student is expected to type up a week worth of lecture notes.
The following problem sets will be discussed in class with student participation: