This course is meant exclusively for students who previously took Math 171.
Continuation of MATH 171. Topics in algebra, trigonometry and precalculus are integrated with elementary differential calculus. Enroll Info: Completion of MATH 217 implies completion of MATH 221 and 114.
Students can take Math 114 and Math 221 instead of Math 171 and Math 217.
After Math 217, students can enroll in second semester calculus, Math 222.
- Indefinite integrals and applications. Integration of sine and cosine. Areas. Area between curves. Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
- Distance. Volumes (by slices and shells). Curve length. Surfaces of revolution. Average values, moments, and center of gravity.
- Trig identities. Addition formulas. Half- and double-angle formulas. Inverse trig functions. Trig equations. Derivatives of trig functions and inverse trig functions.
- Exponential functions. e^x. Logarithms. Laws of logarithms. Exponential & logarithmic equations, and applications. Natural logs. Derivative of ln x. Properties and graphs of logarithms. Compound interest and exponential growth.
- Parabolas, ellipses, hyperbolas. Conics. Tangent lines to conics.