This course is intended for students in Computer Science and Electrical and Computer Engineering
As the title Introduction to Discrete Mathematics suggests, Math 240 is a course on the fundamentals of discrete (as opposed to continuous) mathematics. It is a requirement for the BS degree program in Computer Engineering offered by the ECE department. The course is a foundational math course for this program and is meant to be taken early in the program; it is also a good foundation for higher mathematics courses. You will be introduced to many new concepts and topics, and we shall not spend a long time on any one of them.
- Logic, sets and functions (chapter 1).
- Algorithms and integers (chapter 2 except 2.6).
- Mathematical reasoning (chapter 3).
- Counting (chapter 4 except 4.6).
- Discrete Probability (section 5.1).
- Recurrence relations (sections 6.1-6.3).
- Relations (chapter 7 except 7.2).
- Graphs (sections 8.1-8.2).
- Trees (section 9.1).