For students planning to graduate this Spring 2021 semester, follow the steps below. [If you do not plan to attend commencement or are graduating in Summer, skip steps 3 & 6.]
- Indicate your intent to graduate (by Friday, April 9)– You will indicate your intent to graduate through your Student Center. Visit the Student Center’s instruction page.
- Inform the department that you are leaving the program by completing the Departure Form.
- (only if you plan to attend commencement) Rent your cap and gown (by Monday, April 12) – More information on ordering you cap and gown are available here.
- Request your warrant (4 weeks ahead or by Friday, April 16) – Forms are available online - PhD and MA-FAS. Once it has been completely filled out and signed by your advisor, return it via email.
- Follow the Graduate School’s Guides for Completing Degrees:
Doctoral degree deadline is 11:55 PM CST Sunday, May 9.
Master's degree deadline is Friday, May 7.
- (optional) Attend commencement (PhD-Friday, May 7. MA-Saturday, May 8). More information here: https://www.wisc.edu/commencement/
- Complete the Checklist for Graduate Students Before Leaving Campus.
- Add/update address for diploma mailing. International students must provide a diploma address in order for your diploma to be mailed. Domestic students need to provide a diploma address if you want your diploma mailed to an address different than your home address. Tutorial
- (optional) If you need documentation of your degree before you receive your diploma, request a Degree Completion Letter. Be sure to follow the instructions for graduate students.