- Course recommendation depends on student's goals/major and placement/AP/transfer credit.
- Students who took their last math course over a year ago are strongly encouraged to take the math placement exam on an advisory basis, even if they are not required to. Placement based on their past work alone is often inaccurate.
- It is highly recommended that students take their needed math course right away rather than waiting.
- Students will not be allowed to sign up for courses higher than the course they have placed into.
- AP test results and transfer credits have priority over placement score.
- Retaking the placement test is an option if a student thinks the scores do not represent accurately his/her knowledge of the material. Please read the new policy on the retake of the placement exam and refer students to the math consultant.
- Math 141 is recommended to fulfill the QR-A requirement if no further math is needed.
- WARNING If a student chooses to take the Math 171-217 sequence, he/she has to take both courses to get full credit for the equivalent of math 114 and math 221. Those completing only 171 will NOT be granted full credit for any of math 112, 113, 114, 210, 211 or 221. They will NOT be allowed to sign up for 221 after completing only 171. 171 is only offered in the fall following by math 217 in the spring.
- Note that Math 113 (trigonometry) is not a prerequisite for Math 211. Math 211 is accepted by the Business school and few programs as calculus. Caution should be used when recommending this course. Students might want to consider Math 221 if they got the adequate placement scores or prerequisites.
|Math 113 or 211||If not planning on taking math 221 or do not need math 113 as a prerequisite or as a requirement for a major:
|Math 211 or 221||