Math majors and students in the sciences and engineering.
Provides a rigorous introduction to ordinary differential equations and dynamical systems. Enroll Info: Intended for math majors and advanced (or graduate) students in other disciplines.
Math 319 for a lower level introduction to Differential Equations
- Systems of differential equations
- Stability for linear systems. Fundamental matrix, periodic systems and Floquet theory.
- Continuity and differentiability of solutions in initial conditions.
- Flow of differential equations.
- Qualitative behavior of nonlinear systems. Stability and Liapunov functions.
- Periodic orbits, Poincare maps, attractors and Poincare-Bendixon Theorem.
- Bifurcation for equilibria and periodic orbits (time permits).
- Applications to Classical Mechanics and biological systems.