Math 441, Introduction to Modern Algebra - Fall 2005
303 Van Vleck Hall.
Office Hours: T 11-12, R 11-12, F 1:15-2:15, or by appointment.
A Concrete Introduction to Higher Algebra, 2nd edition, by Lindsay Childs
This is a first course on modern algebra, with an emphasis on concrete structures. It serves
two purposes: (1) a stepping stone to Math 541 (Modern Algebra) for those wanting to take
that course and (2) a course that enables the prospective secondary school teacher to
understand modern algebra at a more advanced level.
Homework will be set every Thursday and due the following Thursday. You are encouraged to discuss
the exercises with your classmates but the work you hand in should be your own. You will be
expected to read the sections of the book to be covered in advance of class. Homeworks will
consist of some with answers at the back of the book and others that will be graded.
There will be two in-class exams during the semester, covering respectively Chapters 1-8 and
Chapters 9-15. These will be worth 25% each and the final worth 35%. I do not intend to give
- Main Lecture: TR 1-2:15 B113 VV.
- Sept 6,8: Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 (A,B,C,D - statement of theorem only)
- Sept 13,15: Chapter 3 (A,B,C), Chapter 4 (A,B), and Chapter 5 (A,B)
- Sept 20,22: Chapter 5 (C,D,E) and Chapter 6 (A,B)
- Sept 27,29: Chapter 6 (C,D,E) and Chapter 8 (A)
- Oct 4,6: Chapter 8 (B) and Chapter 9 (A)
- Oct 11,13: (one class plus exam): Chapter 9 (B)
- Oct 18,20: Chapter 9 (C,D,E,F)
- Oct 25,27: Chapter 10 (B) and Chapter 11 (A,B)
- Nov 1,3: Chapter 11 (C,D)
- Nov 8,10: Chapter 11 (E) and Chapter 14
- Nov 15,17: Chapter 15 (A,B,C)
- Nov 22: Chapter 15 (D)
- Nov 29,Dec 1: (one class plus exam) Chapter 20 (A)
- Dec 6,8: Chapter 28 (A,B)
- Dec 13,15: Chapter 28 (C,D)
- Due Sept 15: Chapter 1, E1,E4; Chapter 2A, E1,E2,E4,E10,E14; Chapter 2B, E4
- Due Sept 22: Chapter 3A, E2; Chapter 3B, E1(i), E5(iv); Chapter 3C, E4(i), E15; Chapter 4B, E7, E31; Chapter 5A, E3(i); Chapter 5B, E6(iii).
- Due Sept 29: Chapter 5B, E8, E9; Chapter 5C, E2(i), E3; Chapter 5D, E2, E3; Chapter 5E, E2(iii), E5; Chapter 6B, E1.
- Due October 6: Chapter 6C, E4; Chapter 6D, E3, E4, E8; Chapter 6E, E3, E7; Chapter 8A, E8, E13; Chapter 8B, E7.
- Due October 20: Chapter 9A, E3, E4, E13, E17; Chapter 9B, E3, E5, E14, E17.
- Due October 27: Chapter 9C, E8, E13; Chapter 9D, E2, E4; Chapter 9E, E2, E7; Chapter 9F, E2, E8.
- Due November 3: Chapter 10B, E3, E4, E6; Chapter 11A, E3, E4, E5; Chapter 11B, E1.
- Due November 10: Chapter 11C, E1, E2; Chapter 11D, E2, E3; Chapter 11E, E2.
- Due November 17: Chapter 11E, E4; Chapter 14, E1, E5, E7, E8; Chapter 15A, E4, E8.
- Due December 1: Chapter 15B, E1; Chapter 15C, E1, E9; Chapter 15D, E7, E10.
- Due December 8: Chapter 20A, E3, E8, E10, E13, E16.
- Due December 15: Chapter 28A, E3, E6, E10; Chapter 28B, E3, E4, E5; Chapter 28C, E3, E4.